Saturday, February 14, 2009

UNDISCLOSED #9 - 28th September 2008

It must be around 8.30 am and I am on a Spring beach.
There are a few people around maintaining their early morning fitness regimes.
I find a spot in the sand that is firm but not too dry or wet, somewhere in between.
A place where, if I dig a few feet I might start to get water seeping up but am not in danger of waves coming in – yet.
I start digging.
The hole is over a metre long and around three quarters of a metre wide.
This seems easy work to begin with and I imagine just looks like I am someone playing in the sand for the sheer joy of digging.
It must be about 15 mins on and it is starting to get serious, I am going deep. I am trying for at least a metre and a half. It starts to get a bit tough because I need to start maintaining the walls to prevent them from caving in.
I am at about half a metre and I sit inside the hole and start digging from this position so my movement does not disturb the edges as much.
I am excavating the part of the hole in front of me, in effect creating a seat where I can dig from.
I am getting somewhere and the sand is moist enough and the air cool enough that it does not dry quickly, so it adheres together nicely. I am pounding the walls to make them hard and solid.
I am standing in the deeper part of the hole, which I think is getting to the depth I want and I start scooping off layers from the higher part. I am actually creating a seat.
I think I have now been going for what seems a long time but I am sure it is probably only about 40 mins or so.
The seat is patted down now and I can sit on it.
The bottom of the hole is a little soggy with water seeping up.
My head and shoulders just come above the hole from this seated position.
I am patting the sand around the perimeter of the hole making it nice and smooth.
I write on one side
“Colonised”
and on the other side
“Coloniser”
I draw an arrow from both sides meeting in the front like the bow of a ship.
I sit down and look straight ahead.
I watch my horizon.
I watch my horizon.
I watch my horizon.
I am still.
I stand up, climb out and leave walking in the direction of the arrow.

No comments: